The leaves are changing and there’s a chill in the air – what a beautiful time to live in Colorado!
Fall is a great time to take care of your home and keep it looking great as the seasons change. If you are selling your home, it’s especially important to keep working on the curb appeal.
Here are some tips to keep your home looking great during the Fall season:
– Rake and remove dead leaves as often as possible, especially sweep porches and walkways.
– As leaves and debris build up, it is VERY important to clean your gutters and downspouts frequently, so once the snow starts flying, the gutters are clean and ready to do their job.
– Remove weeds and trim back dying plants from your flowerpots, lawn and garden.
– Bring in pots of heartier flowers like chrystanthemums or place some pumpkins or other fall items around your front porch area and keep them neat – remember simple is better. Also, store empty flowerpots in your garage or shed.
– Have your sprinkler lines blown out and winterized before the first freeze – no one wants to deal with broken pipes!
– Be sure to aerate your lawn and fertilize before the ground freezes. Consider planting some bulbs for the coming spring.
– Have your furnace serviced by a HVAC professional, and purchase extra filters to get you through the winter months.
– Check all windows and doors, and add caulk or weather stripping to seal any areas as needed.
– Take some time to check all exterior light bulbs.
– Cover or store patio and lawn furniture.
– Change out your lighter window coverings, throw pillows, and other accessories for warmer seasonal ones (again – think ‘simple’).
– This is also a great time to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Taking care of these items now will keep your house in great showing condition, and ensure that you won’t be worrying about your home once the snow starts flying.